Friday 18 December 2009

Excuses, Excuses

Well, I was hoping to do an update at least about once a week. Perhaps things will improve as I get into the swing of it, but in any case, my excuse at the moment is that I'm flitting, which means moving house to any Southerners that might wander by. This has all the stresses generally associated with such a job, particularly for those like me, whose income is not particularly high. Whilst van hire and finding enough to rent two places over a period take the bulk of the money, it's the odd hidden costs, like take-away food since you've little time and the crockery etc. is all packed, which just seem to mount up. So I'd like to thank my friends who've made this so much easier than it might have been, in particular the NorthWesters.

This in turn gives me an excuse to rant about a couple of things. And a rant is always good, for me to write if not for you to read.

The first I'll deal with quickly as you've probably heard it before... My income, though not high, isn't too far below average for Castle City, which being up North, is below the average for the country. I can't even afford a basic, two up, two down "starter house". Not just by a little where I might be able to save some more towards a deposit, but in a not-a-hope sort of way. If you own a house, I fear you will have to get used to the idea it'll fall in price (I won't say value, since they're overvalued at the moment) because this situation can't persist.

This is also why I rented a flat. It's not so much more to rent a house, but I am quite aware that a lot of houses on the rental market at the moment are owned by those who were hoping to sell but can't. I don't want the place being sold out from underneath me; that's happened before and entailed me moving house seven times in one year since I couldn't find good accomodation at short notice. That was not a lot of fun. I guess anyone else renting knows this which is why renting a two-bed house is little more than renting a one-bed flat.

The other thing is rubbish. I have some things which need to go to the tip, but I'm not allowed to take them with the van while I had it, because you may be tipping commercial waste. Because they can't just look at what it is you're tipping - and perhaps the fact the van you have is obviously a hire van - and make a judgment. Here's what I have to dump - look like commercial waste to you?

  • an old matress
  • a broken chair
  • a small TV that I'd actually quite like for the bedroom in the new place, but it won't do digital, even with an adapter box, and the North West doesn't have terrestrial TV any more
  • an ancient printer, the cartridges for which cost more than a new printer
  • a VCR that I've not used in about a decade

Time was when you put such things out with the rubbish and they would be taken away, because you'd paid for that service through the rates. If you did it too much, they'd have a word, but it was generally expected that a household would generate household waste...

You can apply for a permit for a van but there are two problems here. One is that although it says the permit takes about a week to come, anyone I've mentioned this to scoffs at the idea; secondly, it appears the permits relate to the "householder" who I expect is my landlord, myself being a mere lodger. One of the reasons for moving is that our relationship broke down somewhat, so that may not be about to happen, quite apart from the delays occasioned by the fact we work different hours.

Aaaand relax. That feels better.

I'm still looking at climate change. I'm starting with those who claim it is happening, not to prejudice the argument, but because the writings of those who claim it isn't are largely couched as responses. It's easier to read a response after what it is responding to than the other way around! There is rather a lot of it however.

I will say that thus far, the science seems sound, pace Brignell et al., though whether that will still be the case once I have gone through the criticisms too remains to be seen. It's not perfect, not beyond criticism by any means, but what I've seen of the criticism thus far - and bear in mind I've yet to make a systematic examination of it - doesn't affect the overall thrust of the argument. It'll be a while before I've gone through it all however.

Oh well, there's more I could burble on about, but back to work! I shall try to make a post once a week at least. And maybe something about current events now and again. More effort needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment